Bethany Free Lutheran Church began in 1890 when Norwegian immigrants had a vision of the need for a Free Lutheran congregation where the Word of God would be taught and the Lord Jesus Christ would be worshipped. A building was built in the “Uppertown” neighborhood of Astoria in 1893. Construction of our current building was
completed in 1989.
Bethany Free Lutheran Church belongs to the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations. The AFLC believes Jesus is God who became man, died on the cross for our sins and rose again from the dead. We believe each person needs to know Jesus as Lord and Savior and have a personal relationship with Him. We believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. We stress the freedom of the local congregation. God loves the local congregation and wants each person to be a part of one. The Lord works through local congregations to touch communities and the world.
The AFLC began in 1962 and is headquartered in Plymouth, Minn., a suburb of Minneapolis. Its roots are in the Lutheran Free Church movement begun by Georg Sverdrup in the 1890s.
On the headquarters campus is a Bible school and a seminary. Nearly 300 congregations throughout the United States belong to the AFLC.
We are involved in supporting mission work in Brazil, Mexico, India, Uganda, Tanzania, Poland and home mission work throughout the United States and Canada.
For more information on the AFLC go to www.aflc.org.